Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Take action...


“The smallest good deed is better than the grandest good intention.”

Now let’s be careful, Duguet is not suggesting you should abandon your good intentions, only that it is important to follow up those intentions with action. In fact, an intention that is not followed through – or at least is not attempted – cannot truly be called an intention.

“I meant to clean out the garage.” (but I watched the game on TV instead) is not an intention.

“I wanted to be honest.” (but I lied) is not an intention.

“I want to lose weight” (but I ate dessert anyway).

A real intention is followed by action. I know, that is not always easy, especially when we are so comfortable resting on our backsides. But what value is a good intention if it leads not to a good deed?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is the action part that is hard though.

Muriel said...

Postief, dankie Ice!

Anonymous said...

Ice, vanoggend by die garage vra 'n jongman vir my geld vir 'n taxi. Ek vra toe waar gaan hy heen. Alberton toe tannie. Nou wat soek jy hierso? Nee ek het werk hier kom soek tannie, en ek het gisteraand hier agter die mall geslaap.

Wat volgende deur my kop gegaan het, hierdie kon net sowel my kind gewees het. Bedel geld vir taxi, kos, etc. Ek loop kar toe om 'n geldjie te gaan haal. Die volgende oomblik tref dit my. As ek nou vir hom die geld gee en dis eintlik vir dwelms sal ek myself nooit vergewe nie.

Ek sê toe vir hom ek is jammer maar ek wil graag maar ek gaan nie. My seun het dieselfde gedoen en soort van die storie vir hom vertel.

Nou sit ek en dink oor hierdie inskrywing van jou.

My intention was to give him some money... Was it followed by the right action?

Goeie inskrywing!