Friday, November 28, 2008

8 hours or less?

There is so much the goes into living a healthy lifestyle. In particular, there are three pillars. In recent months I have reclaimed two of those pillars, nutrition and fitness. But the third pillar, sleep, is harder to control.

For starters, it happens while we are asleep. Secondly, when you are married, it’s not always easy to chose when you go to sleep. And if your partner has a fitful night, so will you (at least, if you are a light sleeper).

But sleep is so critical. With insufficient sleep, fitness becomes harder. With insufficient sleep, motivation becomes harder. With insufficient sleep, people eat more bread and sugar. With insufficient sleep, we get grumpier (and you know what that does to both your relationships and the law of attraction).

In so many ways, sleep controls our physical health, our ability to accomplish things and our relationships. It’s worth the effort to get a good night’s sleep every night.

Is there still people who sleep 8 hours a night? How many hours a night, do you sleep?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sjoe, ek wens ek kon 8 ure haal. Ek raak baie min voor 2uur in die oggend aan die slaap. Ek het al probeer om vroeër aan die slaap te raak, net om maar weer by 12 uur wakker te word.

Ek wonder of bietjie joga kan help vir die probleem?

Ordinarylife said...

I usually get at least 8 - 9 hours. My husband always knows when I say "Honey,...." at about 9pm he says "yes, I know - you are going to bed". I am useless past that time. I am much more a morning person.

Hanlie said...

I sleep much more now that I'm married. And I'm actually contemplating starting a siesta (or power-nap) tradition every day. It's supposed to be very good for us!

Love the new blog!

ICE said...

This was one of those tough weeks.

Never got to bed before 12 and got up every morning at 5...

Glad the week is over!!

ICE said...

Pam, My wife is the same, except she leaves the falling to sleep for Friday nights. She never stay awake past 9 on a Friday night.

ICE said...

Hanlie the power naps sound like an Xcellent idea!

Thanx for the compliment!

ICE said...

Zee as joga help, laat my weet.

Ek was iemand wat slaap gelaaik het!

Anonymous said...

I suffer from insomnia lately and rarely gets more than about 4 hours a night. And thats with a sleeping tab - I wish I could just put my head down and sleep. When you figure out the recipe...let me know!

ICE said...

Hi & Welcome here, Sarah!

Thanx!

Glad you like it here, please do come back!

ICE said...

I sure will, Carina!